With school back in session and kids both in school and learning at home again, you may be looking for the best solutions for carrying and storing their face masks. This craft is perfect for that and is suitable for all mask wearers. It’s easy, fun and relevant to our new way of life. It’s a stylish necklace that secures your face mask around your neck when you aren’t wearing it.
With the mask mandates all around us, we find ourselves frequently putting our masks on and taking them back off again and again.
But what do you do with your mask when you take it off? Shove it in your pocket? Throw it in your bag? Lay it down? After you make this mask necklace, you will no longer have to worry about where to keep your face mask when you take it off. Plus, no more lost masks or forgetting which mask belongs to who. Just clip your face mask onto your necklace and your mask is conveniently with you when you need it again. And I guarantee your friends will be asking you where you got it and if they can get one, too. So let’s get started!
All you need for this craft are some pony beads, jewelry cording and lobster claw jewelry clasps. All the supplies needed for this craft are available at your favorite craft store, the craft aisle at most major retailers or online.
Supplies for each necklace:
- Approximately 2 feet of beading/craft cording
- 2 lobster claw jewelry clasps
- 100+ pony beads
- Tape measure (optional)
- Pipe cleaners (optional)
1. Start by cutting the cording to your desired length. I cut mine at approximately 24” for adults and 20” for my 3-year-old.
2. Tie one end of the cording securely to a lobster claw clasp with a double knot.
3. Thread beads onto cording, leaving the last 1.5”-2” bead-free for knot tying.
(Hint: For toddlers or people who have less dexterity, tie the end of the cording to a pipe cleaner for easier bead threading. You can cut that knot off once all the beads are on the necklace.)
4. Tie the open end of the cording to the other lobster claw clasp.
5. Attach each clasp to either side of the mask.
Please make sure children are always supervised when making and wearing the necklaces.